As a holistic dentist, we understand you can’t have oral health without whole-body wellness. Don’t let health take a holiday during the busy summer. The season’s bounty makes it easy to enjoy lots of smile-friendly treats. Snacks that nourish the body are often good for teeth. Some foods have special properties that make them particularly good options for a healthy, attractive smile. Stock up on:
- Proteins like nuts and cheese - Excellent buffers against decay-producing acids
- Produce with high water content like celery, pears, melons - Rinse harmful bacteria from the mouth
- High vitamin A and C fruits like sliced oranges, apples, and bananas - refreshing and promotes healthy gums and teeth.
- Calcium containing foods - preserve and rebuild enamel, and stimulate bacteria-fighting saliva
If kids don’t have the following foods available, they won’t eat them:
- Sticky candies like taffy and licorice
- Starchy snacks such as potato chips
Both sugars and starches are hard to clear from the mouth. Harmful bacteria like to feed off them. If your kids must have sweets, opt for ice cream enjoyed quickly and not consumed over many hours, producing multiple acidic attacks on teeth. Happy and healthy snacking!